Sunday, November 8, 2009

Sausage Gravy

This is one of those recipes that my Great-Grandmother, Grand-Mother and Mother have perfected, but the "milk gravy" gene has stopped with me. I don't think I have enough patience. I also know that a cast iron skillet might have a little something to do with it; I always forget to use that thing! I don't make a "mean gravy," but I do make a passable one. Good luck!

Sausage Gravy & Biscuits

Ingredients:

Canned biscuits
1/2-3/4 pound of sausage (I use bulk pork sausage)
Black pepper - loads of it!

4 cups of milk
4-6 tablespoons of flour

Prepare biscuits as instructed on package. Brown sausage in skillet. As soon as sausage is completely browned, remove from pan. Add flour by the tablespoon, stirring constantly. Let the flour turn DEEP GOLDEN BROWN. If you don't, your gravy will taste like flour. After you have added enough flour to make the gravy as thick as you like, add milk and stir with whisk. Add black pepper to taste. Return sausage to the skillet to rewarm as the milk thickens. *Patience is the key! :)

Serve over biscuits.


Recipe Given By: Angie Martens

No comments: