Friday, June 24, 2011

Pizza Burgers

Tuesday night I had a work meeting, but my family wasn't going to be home in time to eat dinner all together.  I put together this "pizza-joe" and left it on the stove top covered. (There was about a 10 minute disparity between my departure and their arrival.)  I wrote out the final instructions and the gang finished up the recipe with no problem.  They even snapped a picture for me to share!  It was delicious!  Check out the Taste of Home link below for nutritional and freezer info, plus, other great recipes.

Open-faced Pizza Burgers

Ingredients:

1-1/2 pounds ground beef
1/4 cup chopped onion
1 can (15 ounces) pizza sauce
1 can (4 ounces) mushroom stems and pieces, drained
1 tablespoon sugar
1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
6 hamburger buns, split and toasted
1-1/2 cups (6 ounces) shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese

In a large skillet, cook beef and onion over medium heat until the meat is no longer pink; drain. Stir in the pizza sauce, mushrooms, sugar and oregano; mix well. Spoon onto buns; sprinkle with mozzarella cheese.

Place on ungreased baking sheets. Broil 4 in. from the heat for 2 minutes or until cheese is melted.

To freeze for quick lunches later, place the split and toasted buns on a baking sheet. Spoon the meat mixture onto buns; freeze for 1 hour. Transfer to heavy-duty resealable plastic bags or airtight containers.

Serves: 12
Recipe Given By: Taste of Home

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I've never had a pizza burger before but I'm pretty sure I would like them :-)

Thanks for the recipe :-)

~Ron

Nel said...

I have not had a pizza burger since grade school, and that's along time ago. And I remember loving them, will definitely have to try this one out. Thanks for bringing back memories!
until next time... nel