Friday, July 3, 2009

Breakfast Breads Week

I checked out a yummy looking book at the library entitled, Pillsbury Best Muffins & Quick Breads. Usually when I get a cookbook out of the library I generally just dream about making some of the included recipes or pick up the book to try just one recipe specifically. This book has a plethora of delicious looking treats and I thought I'd try my first-ever "week-long series" on a specific food topic...hence, the title.

This morning we launched into muffin baking with enthusiasm. I decided to bake:

Basic Muffins with Streusel Topping

Ingredients:
2 C all-purpose flour
1/2 C sugar
3 t. baking powder
1/2 t. salt
3/4 C milk
1/3 C oil
1 egg, beaten

Heat oven to 400 degrees. Grease bottoms only of 12 muffin cups or line with paper baking cups. In medium bowl, combine flour, sugar, baking powder and salt; mix well. In a small bowl, combine milk, oil and egg; beat well. Add to flour mixture all at once; stir just until dry ingredients are moistened. (Batter will be lumpy.) Divide batter evenly into greased muffin cups. Bake at 400 degrees for 20-25 minutes or until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool 1 minute; remove from pan. Serve warm.

Streusel-Topping:

In small bowl, combine 1/4 C firmly packed brown sugar, 1 T softened margarine or butter, 1/2 t. cinnamon and 1/4 C nuts or flaked coconut (I left out); stir with fork until crumbly. Sprinkle evenly over batter in cups before baking.

Serving: 12 muffins
Recipe Given By: Pillsbury Best Muffins & Quick Breads

**I went back and highlighted the words "with enthusiasm" because it had to be something that made me read the recipe as "3 Tablespoons of baking powder" TWICE. As I was putting the batter together I thought, "Man, that's a lot of baking powder. " Look at the book again..."yep, that's what it says." NOPE! Didn't even realize it until I came down to share the recipe with you! So...I'm off to a good start! Now I need to go buy more baking powder before I can try my hand at this recipe again or any other, for that matter. Ha!

Well, despite my big flub-up, my family ate up the whole batch, except for the two muffins we shared with a neighbor. Poor lady...hope she's not allergic to baking powder.

Here's some pictures of our first try at "Baking Powder Muffins." (They were still tasty; think what they'll be like when made correctly! Wow, can't wait!) Tune in tomorrow for more great breakfast treats...I'll try to wake up before I begin the next batch.


Before going into the oven...muffins pretty, pan well-loved


On rack to cool...baked up too high (wonder why!)


Didn't stop her from enjoying three

No comments: