Thursday, April 19, 2012

Q - Quiche: Breakfast Pie

This is my go-to breakfast quiche!  It is hearty and delicious! Enjoy!

Breakfast Pie

Ingredients:

8 slices bacon, cooked crisp
½ C cornflake crumbs
1 T. bacon drippings
5 eggs
2 ½ C frozen hash browns
1 ½ C shredded Swiss cheese
½ C cottage cheese
1/3 C milk
1 green onion, thinly sliced
1 t. salt
1/8 t. pepper

Cook and crumble bacon, set aside. Mix cornflake crumbs with the 1 T bacon drippings, set aside. Beat eggs until foamy. Stir in potatoes, Swiss cheese, cottage cheese, milk, onion, salt and pepper. Pour into greased 9 in pie pan. Sprinkle with crumb mixture and bacon. Cover. Refrigerate overnight or bake immediately. Remove from refrigerator, uncover, bake at 325 degrees 50-60 min until knife comes out clean.

Serving: 6-8
Recipe Given By: my mom

Hints: I almost never let it sit overnight in the frig. I just don't think that far ahead. I usually cook some kind of sweet bread (like a cinnamon loaf, coffee cake or muffins) at the same time. I then cook both at 350 degrees. In my oven the breakfast pie still takes an hour to cook. I also make two pies at the same time (mixing the ingredients separately). Whether your family will eat through two pies at one sitting or you just want to have the leftovers for breakfast, cooking two pies works for us!

(Here's a reheated leftover - good to eat any time of the day!)

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

You had me at bacon! :)

~Lynn
http://www.acommonsea.com

Lynn Proctor said...

i love this--i keep wanting to make something like this, but it seems out of my comfort zone--i know, i'm a freak when it comes to cooking sometimes--don't know why

baygirl32 said...

BACON! yum

Happy A to Z
baygirl32.blogspot.com